September 16, 2009

Eggplant Caponata

This is my take on eggplant caponata. I love any recipe where I can just throw a bunch of stuff into a pot. I have made this a couple times and it gets better as it sits, so the leftovers are amazing.

1 lb ground pork
1 clove of garlic
1/2 onion diced
2 cans diced tomato (no salt added)
chopped mushrooms
1 cup spinach
green olives
capers
1/4 cup red wine
Eggplant, diced

Salt eggplant and place it in a colander with a plate on top and weigh the plate down. Let sit for around 45 minutes. This allows some of the bitter juices to drain out. Rinse the eggplant.

Saute garlic and onion in a pot
Add the ground pork and let it brown
Add the tomatoes and red wine
Add eggplant, spinach and mushrooms
Add green olives and capers and let simmer

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of my favorite recipes so far! I'm not a spinach fan or an eggplant fan and I LOVED this! Plus, since it uses red wine, it gives you an excuse to have a glass or two while you're cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this the other night using what I had in my fridge ... that left me with Kielbasa sausage, no onion, and fresh arugula as mods. Crazy how just throwing everything in a pan and hoping for the best always works out so well! :)

    ReplyDelete